This calculator can help you to calculate basic discrete random variable metrics: mean or expected value, variance, and standard deviation.
Mean or expected value of discrete random variable is defined as
Variance of random variable is defined as
An alternative way to compute the variance is
The positive square root of the variance is called the standard deviation .
As you can see, these metrics have quite simple formulas. Sometimes you need to find them to solve probability theory problems. For discrete random variable, the trick, of course, is to find correct value-probability pairs, then it is just simple math of additions and multiplications. So, this calculator can take care of simple math for you, once you enter value-probability pairs into the table. You can find example of usage below the calculator.
Problem: A set of 10 microwave ovens includes 3 that are defective. If 5 of the ovens are chosen at random for shipment to a hotel, how many defective ovens can they expect?
How to use the calculator:
- Select the current data in the table (if any) by clicking on top checkbox and delete it by clicking on "bin" icon on table header.
- Add value-probability pairs (you need to determine them, but it is the essence of the problem). Note that the quickest way to do it is to "import" data. Click on "import" icon on table header and enter the following values
After that you will get the mean of 1.5. Of course 1.5 defective ovens does not make any physical sense. Instead, it should be interpreted as an average value if repeated shipments will be made under these conditions.Show me
- • Binomial distribution, probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Hypergeometric Distribution. Probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Geometric Distribution. Probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Normal distribution
- • Poisson Distribution. Probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Math section ( 236 calculators )