This content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0 (Unported). That means you may freely redistribute or modify this content under the same license conditions and must attribute the original author by placing a hyperlink from your site to this work https://planetcalc.com/7703/. Also, please do not modify any references to the original work (if any) contained in this content.
In probability theory and statistics, the hypergeometric distribution is a discrete probability distribution that describes the probability of k successes (random draws for which the object drawn has a specified feature) in n draws, without replacement, from a finite population of size N that contains exactly K objects with that feature, wherein each draw is either a success or a failure. In contrast, the binomial distribution describes the probability of k successes in n draws with replacement. Wikipedia
Probability density function of the hypergeometric distribution is
is the number of combinations of m from n or binomial coefficient
Cumulative distribution function of the hypergeometric distribution is
is the generalized hypergeometric function
Mean or expected value for the hypergeometric distribution is
The calculator below calculates the mean and variance of the negative binomial distribution and plots the probability density function and cumulative distribution function for given parameters n, K, N.
- • Binomial distribution, probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Geometric Distribution. Probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Negative Binomial Distribution. Probability density function, cumulative distribution function, mean and variance
- • Log-normal distribution
- • Student t-distribution
- • Statistics section ( 35 calculators )