This online calculator is a currency reference tool that provides information on the currency used in a selected country as well as obsolete currencies. It displays the name, symbol, short symbol, and effective date of the currency for the selected country.
This content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0 (Unported). That means you may freely redistribute or modify this content under the same license conditions and must attribute the original author by placing a hyperlink from your site to this work https://planetcalc.com/8940/. Also, please do not modify any references to the original work (if any) contained in this content.
This calculator can be used as a handy reference tool for travelers, investors, or anyone who needs to work with different currencies.
It's worth noting that the effective date represents the date when the currency was first introduced or when it underwent significant changes, such as a revaluation or a change in the currency code. Some countries may have used multiple currencies throughout their history, so this calculator can also display information about obsolete currencies that are no longer in use.
Here are some interesting facts about currencies:
- The first currency ever recorded was the shekel, which was used in Mesopotamia as far back as 3000 BC.
- The euro is the most widely used currency in the world, with over 337 million people using it as their currency.
- The name of the Japanese currency, yen, comes from the Chinese word for "round object" or "circle", which is a reference to the shape of the coins that were used in China during the Tang dynasty.
- The word "dollar" comes from the German word "Thaler", which was a type of coin that was widely used in Europe in the 16th century.
- The symbol for the Indian rupee, ₹, was adopted in 2010 and is derived from the Devanagari script, which is used to write Hindi, Sanskrit, and other languages.
The data source for the currency calculator is CLDR (Unicode Common Locale Data Repository). This calculator is a useful tool for anyone who needs to quickly look up information on a foreign currency or who wants to learn more about the history of currencies around the world.