Calculator below computes the prospect distance from height at observer and line of sight distance between two observers. Some theory is placed below the calculator.
As shown on piture, observer's view is limited by horizon - imaginary line where sky touches the earth. According to picture we can calculate distance to the horizon from Pythagoras theorem.
where R - is Earth radius, usually taken as 6378 kilometers.
Atmospheric refraction increases the prospect distance by over 6 percent.
The result formula is
Simplified formula, which can be deduced from above, is often used
, for nautical miles or
, for kilometers
Line of sight
As shown on picture, line of sight distance is simply addition of two prospect distances.
- • Course angle and the distance between the two points on loxodrome (rhumb line).
- • Distance across the surface vs distance through the Earth
- • Distance calculator
- • Course angles and distance between the two point on the orthodrome(great circle)
- • Distance and midpoint between two points
- • Navigation section ( 17 calculators )