This calculator computes distance between two points on Earth. It uses Vincenty formula.
You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle_distance
Since Earth is not an ideal sphere, calculator uses mean radius value according to WGS 84, which can give 0.5% error, according to wikipedia.
By default calculator coordinates are of New York and San Francisco
- • Distance across the surface vs distance through the Earth
- • Course angles and distance between the two point on the orthodrome(great circle)
- • Distance through the Earth
- • Course angle and the distance between the two points on loxodrome (rhumb line).
- • Prospect distance from the ground and line of sight distance between two observers
- • Navigation section ( 17 calculators )