This content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0 (Unported). That means you may freely redistribute or modify this content under the same license conditions and must attribute the original author by placing a hyperlink from your site to this work https://planetcalc.com/73/. Also, please do not modify any references to the original work (if any) contained in this content.
This calculator computes distance between two points on Earth. It uses Vincenty formula.
You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle_distance
Since Earth is not an ideal sphere, calculator uses mean radius value according to WGS 84, which can give 0.5% error, according to wikipedia.
By default calculator coordinates are of New York and San Francisco
- • Distance across the surface vs distance through the Earth
- • Course angles and distance between the two point on the orthodrome(great circle)
- • Distance through the Earth
- • Course angle and the distance between the two points on loxodrome (rhumb line).
- • Prospect distance from the ground and line of sight distance between two observers
- • Navigation section ( 17 calculators )